Writing A Demand Letter For Your Personal Injuries
If you have been injured at the fault of another, then you may have to write a demand letter to that person's insurance company in order to be compensated for your injuries. In this letter, you will want to describe the incident in which your injuries were recevied and what those injuries are. From here, you will also want to enclose the amount that you expect for compensation. Here are some further details to include in a demand letter:
- Share Your Story: When you are telling your story of the incident, you will need to back your statements up with examples from documents that were filed that day by witnesses or any police reports. Be very simple and clear in your description of the incident and only use clear facts, which helps to make your story believable and true. Read this section over when it is complete to take out any emotionally driven areas that you may have gotten carried away with.
- Do Not Admit Fault: Nowhere in your letter should it say that any part of the incident was your fault. These issues are the responsibility of the insurance company to uncover themselves. If there are questions about it in the future, then you will worry about your response to it then. Your admission of fault can hurt your case and make it seem as if you really aren't sure whether or not the other party is responsible for your injuries.
- Include Lost Income Total: Besides just including your medical expense total in the letter, you also want to mention the total amount of lost income. From the time that you were in the hospital to the time that you were required to stay home from work to recover from your injuries, you need to calculate how much total income you lost because of this.
- Increase Settlement Demand: Calculate the amount of total lost income and medical expenses then significantly increase the total of those amounts to leave room to negotiate. In most cases, the insurance will want to negotiate, so leaving room will ensure that you are still most likely going to be able to have those expenses from your injuries covered.
- Get Legal Help: If you need help at all writing this demand letter, it is best to get help from a personal injury attorney like Sharkey Gregory V Attorney. This attorney can layout the letter in perfect form and get it sent to the insurer to be sure that it is processed as soon as possible.
By following these steps, you should easily be able to conjure up a demand letter to the insurance so you receive your settlement amount desired.
11 February 2015